nana bette's caramels
It has become a Christmas tradition at Three Ring to deliver homemade caramels to our customers. I have been asked “did you make these yourself?” The answer is “I have and I could… but no.” They are lovingly made by my mother who slaves over a hot stove so that my clients can indulge their sweet tooth. Anyhow, I have been asked by many of you for the recipe… even threatened. After promising my mother I was only going to share the recipe with a few of my favorite people, I received mom’s blessing to share her recipe.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
3 cups of sugar
1 cup white corn syrup
3 cups heavy whipping cream
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. cream of tartar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup nuts (optional… but it’s really good with black walnuts)
MUST HAVE: Candy Thermometer
GOOD TO HAVE: A heavy sauce pan/pot so it doesn’t burn.
• MIX sugar, cream of tartar, salt, and one (1) cup of heavy whipping cream in a
• Cook over medium heat until it reaches a soft boil (238 degrees).
• SLOWLY add the second cup of heavy whipping cream. Try not to let the
temperature drop below 230.
• Bring the temperature back to 238 degrees and SLOWLY add the cup of white
• Bring the temperature back to 238 and SLOWLY add the third cup of heavy
• Bring the mixture to a hard boil (250-252 degrees) then add vanilla and nuts
• Pour into a well-BUTTERED 8” x 8” baking pan and let them cool overnight.
I then cut them into one-inch squares and individually wrap them in wax paper.
You don’t have to do a lot of stirring with these BUT you do need to watch the temperature. If you are patient and do not try to rush, you will be rewarded with one of the finest sweets your tongue has ever tasted!!
Copyright © 2017 Three Ring Marketing. All Rights Reserved.
Three Ring Marketing // 705 N. Bowser Road, Suite 107 // Richardson, TX 75081
Phone: 214.240.3475 // Fax: 469.776.5121
General Inquiries: info@ThreeRingMarketing.com
Compliments, Fantasy Football Tips, and Accounting: ron@ThreeRingMarketing.com